Addiction treatment should involve intensive therapy, but also provide therapeutic activities that allow guests to discover the things that bring them happiness. Royal Life Centers believes in the power of nature, which is why we provide adventure therapy to help our guests heal on a mental, physical, and spiritual level. Royal Life Centers provides comprehensive addiction treatment that teaches guests a new way of life. Our treatment programs span across levels of care, in order to follow our guests through their recovery process. We offer treatment programs including: medical detox, a residential inpatient program, a partial hospitalization program (PHP), an intensive outpatient program (IOP), an outpatient program (OP), sober living and graduate housing. Our treatment programs offer many therapeutic activities, like adventure therapy, activity therapy, and equine therapy.
Royal Life Centers believes in experiential education. With something as powerful as healing through nature, we believe it is best explained to our guests through their own experience. Adventure therapy combines skills and the beautiful natural world. With locations in Washington state and Arizona, our treatment centers are fortunate to be immersed in the beautiful natural landscapes of both the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest. Our approach to addiction treatment is treating the mind, body, and spirit for a full recovery. Guests in our programs enjoy endless support, as well as intensive therapy, all while learning new coping mechanisms and life skills that ultimately prepare them for a happy, healthy, and successful life in sobriety.
Our programs all include intensive therapies. Guests participate in behavioral therapies, group therapies, individual therapy sessions, and have the opportunity to engage in a list of healthy, therapeutic activities. Our adventure therapy is based off of the proven effectiveness of nature as an integral part of the healing process. Nature provides a number of benefits, including valuable health benefits. Experiential learning through adventure therapy is also helpful in helping our guests understand what brings joy to their lives. Healthy habit making is a huge part of addiction recovery, as guests must adopt new and healthy habits to replace their old habits. Adventure therapy works in so many ways, which is why we provide it. Royal Life Centers only uses proven effective methods of addiction treatment, along with the best practices. In her book “The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative,” Dr. Florence Williams states that “We don’t experience natural environments enough to realize how restored they can make us feel…studies also show they make us healthier, more creative, more empathetic and more apt to engage with the world and with each other.” Adventure therapy combines the beauty of nature with practicing skills like interpersonal effectiveness.
Here are 10 ways adventure therapy works:
1. The landscape of nature helps guests to relax, as the sight of plants, flowers and trees actually trigger a “relaxation response” in their bodies.
2. Being surrounded by nature allows the heart rate to slow and blood pressure to decrease.
3. Trees release a compound called phytoncides that have been shown to reduce stress hormones.
4. Spending time in the outdoors improves sleep patterns and decreases anxiety and pain.
5. Physical activity outdoors is proven to decrease ruminating negative thought patterns and fatigue as well.
6. The outdoors encourage mindfulness, as all of our senses are engaged while we are in nature.
7.Spending time in nature is effective in treating behavioral health/ mental health disorders like depression, anxiety, PTSD, and also improves your overall quality of life.
8. Our adventure therapy program includes kayaking and ropes course activities which encourage effective communication, problem solving, interpersonal effectiveness, and team building.
9. Adventure therapy allows our guests to explore fun and healthy habits like kayaking and ropes course activities. Guests can discover what it’s like to make habits out of fun activities that help in bettering them. These therapeutic activities are an exciting break from the intensive drug and alcohol addiction therapies that take place in a clinical setting.
10. Guests are able to learn how to have true fun without using drugs or alcohol. Often in early recovery, guests cannot imagine a life-worth-living without using drugs or alcohol, and part of our job is to teach a new way of life that shows guests how to build a meaning in their lives, free from the constraints of substance use disorder.
Royal Life Centers consistently provides opportunities for our guests to experience these healing powers of nature and wholesome therapeutic activities for themselves. We promote healthy habit-making, and allowing guests to discover what brings them joy, for long term sobriety but also to create a life of fulfillment. Addiction recovery depends on learning a new way of life. At Royal Life Centers, we provide treatment options designed to follow our guests from medical detox, guiding them through the recovery process. Our wilderness therapy programs can be found at a variety of our treatment center locations. We provide opportunities for our guests to immerse themselves into joy-filled and light-hearted fun.
We offer both short term and long term treatment options, and guests work directly with a case manager to develop a treatment plan specifically tailored to meet their needs and goals. At Royal Life Centers, we have treatment options including: medical detox, a residential inpatient program, a partial hospitalization program (PHP), an intensive outpatient program (IOP), an outpatient program (OP), sober living and graduate housing.
If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction, or you would like to know more about the adventure therapy methods we use at Royal Life Centers, please reach out to our addiction specialists at (877)-RECOVERY or (877)-732-6837. Our team is available to speak with you 24/7. Because We Care.