The Benefits of Sober Living Treatments
The quicker you go straight home after drug rehabilitation the more likely you are to return to rehab at a later date. Sober living is a perfect transitional living situation for clients requiring more structure than their pre-admission life but less intensive than intensive outpatient (IOP) rehabilitation.
Sober living provides opportunities for independent living and more freedoms, and keeps an individual away from the usual distractions and temptations of residing at home.
The advantages of sober living been found to be valuable for a person in recovery.
Here is how sober living works:
- People pay rent and utilities as if they were in a private residence.
- They share responsibility for property upkeep
- They make their own meals
- Sober living provides a socially adequate and partially “therapeutic” living environment.
- Sober living is not independent living and residents need to follow some basic rules.
Sober living rules often include:
- No drugs or alcohol permitted
- Addictive prescription medications are also prohibited
- Many sober living facilities discourage or prohibit intimate relationships between residents
- Visitors are generally limited
- Maintain a safe place with minimal distractions
- Many have policies regarding following the rules and tending toresponsibilities
- People who stray from the rules are not permitted to stay longer
- This keeps the sober living space and expectations as stable and safe as possible
Many day and evening intensive outpatient programs (Day-IOPs, Evening-IOPs) are aligned with sober living facilities which enables a fresh new start including:
- Independent living
- Day or evening employment
- Day or evening IOP
- Self-help meeting attendance
- A social life
- Another chance
- The pursuit of happiness
More benefits of sober living include:
- Minimal environmental distractions
- Less temptations
- Less chances to become entangled in family turmoil
- Less chance to get lazy about recovery treatment and aftercare
- Co-inhabitants are either going to treatment and/or meetings
- Social interaction with sober living residents are more likely to discuss recovery related topics
If you or someone you know is struggling with a substance abuse problem, please reach out to our addiction specialists for guidance and support, at (877)-RECOVERY.
“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out”
– Robert Collier
Take a Look at Our Recent Blog Posts
Work is an important part of any successful life— after all, it’s the American dream.…
While guest-reported substance use disorders may vary between treatment locations, the over-arching data trend is…
It’s utterly devastating to watch a parent fall victim to addiction. Addiction leads to pain…
Today, addiction treatment utilizes several different techniques to promote mental healing in addition to physical…
We realize the importance of good nutrition in early recovery, which is why all Royal…
So you’ve decided to start recovery in 2021. Congratulations! The first step to start your…
Hello, my name is Allie Kraska, Content Creator for Royal Life Centers. Member of ACOA…
Even with all of the advances in modern medicine today, and wealth of information that…
Royal Life Centers is one of the leading providers of addiction treatment in the nation. We strive to set ourselves apart from other treatment centers by providing not only the highest level of care, but also diverse programs and amenities. Our staff work around the clock to ensure the best possible chance of success in a safe and constructive environment. We pride ourselves on providing exemplary, quality addiction treatment and exceptional care.
Royal Life Centers provides the best quality of care, while extending our genuine hope and belief in each guest that steps into our facility. We strive to give each guest the most transformative recovery experience, not just because that’s what we do— but, Because We Care. We hope for each of our guests to rebuild happy, healthy, and meaningful lives in sobriety.